Kanopy provides very powerful analytics tools to libraries and institutions via their administrative dashboard. These tools are very useful for:
- Running performance reports on usage and engagement
- Sharing with liaison librarians to support outreach efforts
- Calculating ROI and assessing financial performance
On your administrative dashboard you will notice a number of different tabs that provide various pieces of information to help with different reports and analytics. The main tab is the "Analytics" tab which provides various, very detailed user behavior reports. You'll also find the "PDA Packages" tab here (for PDA specific reports) as well as the "Licenses" tab for quick and specific insights into the usage on current collection and video licenses/purchases.
Here is a snapshot example of a Library's Kanopy Analytics dashboard:
The top reports most heavily used by libraries are:
- The daily usage report - showing overall usage over time
- The engagement summary report - showing the highlights of user engagement (top comments, top rated films, etc)
- PDA performance report - to calculate the performance of the PDA program to date and forecast future use
The Dashboard tabs
There are three main tabs for generating your analytics and performance reports on your admin dashboard:
1) The Analytics tab
This is the primary and most useful place to get your usage, audience and engagement analytics for reporting purposes. Usage analytics answer the question "what films are being used and how much?"; audience analytics answer the question of "who is using the films and how?"; engagement analytics answer the question "how are users engaging with the films?".
The reports are very broad and thorough and you can explore the visualization tools, run different time periods and export reports to excel. We also provide reports in COUNTER compliance format on request too - generally speaking, the "suppliers" report under the usage reports is a COUNTER compliant report, although Kanopy's analytics go much further than COUNTER standards.
Please refer to the rest of the articles in this section for a detailed overview of the different reporting functionality Kanopy provides on the Analytics feature.
2) The Packages tab
The Packages tab will provide you a good summary of your PDA or PPU program from a primarily content perspective. This feature provides:
- An overview of content selections - via your PPU or PDA program you can opt into different content packages by subject and/or publisher and this tab provides insight into your present content selections. You can also download title lists or marc files of collections from this feature
- A breakdown of usage by collection - this feature also profiles overall usage by collection for added insight into understanding which subjects and producers are driving the usage at your institution
- For PDA institutions, you may also see PDA triggers by collection from this tab as well as an overall program performance snapshot
There is also a lot of reports on your Analytics tab providing usage by subject, film, publisher, etc which can be used in conjunction with these reports to get the full picture of the performance of your program.
3) The Licenses tab
The Licenses tab will provide a list of all films and collections you currently have licensed to your website including information on those licenses as well as the statistics of usage since the product was licensed.
It is important to note that the usage feature on the Licenses tab only clocks usage (plays) from the last 12 months (365 days). If you want to get the full picture of usage for a particular time period on various films listed, you may need to rely on the reports on the Analytics tab.