If you are experiencing issues with playing films (e.g. films won't play, films are buffering, or some other issue) or the website, here is some more technical information on some of the actions that can be taken.
1) How to: check or download a browser
Sometimes, website or video issues may be caused by your internet browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari). It can be helpful to download another browser to check if your experience is better in a different browser.
You should always make sure you are using the latest version of your browser and can check this by going to whatbrowser.org - this will tell you what browser and version you are currently using:
- If you see “This is the most current version,” your browser is already updated!
- If you see “There is a newer version,” click the Update your browser button and download the newest version of your browser.
2) How to: download Flash
Many of our videos require Adobe Flash to play. Some of the newer versions of browsers (e.g. Chrome) automatically come with Flash plugins; others - such as Firefox for Mac computers - do not, so you may need to download this to your computer. Having the latest version of Flash ensures the best viewing experience.
Here’s how to upgrade to the latest version:
- Check your Flash Player version here
- Download the latest version if you do not have it
- Exit your browser once you’ve downloaded the file
- Open the Flash Installer on your computer to complete the installation process - visit Abode's help page if you need support with this
- Once installed, reopen your browser and try to watch the video again
3) How to: Refresh your browser set up
Sometimes, it may help to fully shut down the browser you are working in, refresh all pages and remove cookies.
- To refresh your browser window: On many browsers, you can press the F5 key or Command+R keys on your keyboard to reload the current page.
- To clear cache and cookies: Cookies, which are files created by websites you’ve visited, and your browser’s cache, which helps pages load faster, make it easier for you to browse the web. For instructions on how to clear cache and cookies for your browser, simply search for "how to clear cache and cookies" in an internet search
4) How to: check your internet connectivity
You may have issues from poor internet connectivity. You can easily fix this by changing location, but here are some tips to improve your internet connectivity:
- Make sure your internet usage isn’t at capacity -- for example, someone on your home network is downloading a large file at the time you are trying to watch films
- Check your computer for viruses, spyware or a hard drive that’s reached its full capacity - these will slow things down
- Move your router to a new location to improve signal strength. Your router should be elevated off the floor (like on a bookshelf or desk), and placed in a central location in your home
- Move any cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other wireless devices away from your router. These devices often cause wireless interference