Delivering Assets to Kanopy: We place the highest value on our user experience, thus high-quality deliverables are essential for success on our platform. We require the following assets (see below for further details):
1) Video files
2) Key Art/Stills
3) Metadata (including tags/keywords and ratings if mature content)
4) English-language closed captions and subtitles
5) Bonus videos/materials (optional)
1) Video Files Specifications
- List of Acceptable Video Codecs:
- List of Acceptable Audio Codecs:
- Resolution: Your highest resolution possible (e.g. 1920 x 1080).
- Blu-ray: While digital files are preferable, we accept Blu-rays. We no longer accept DVDs. If you have a Blu-ray to send, please have them shipped to the attention of “Product Team." (Please note: we cannot return Blu-rays.)
- Non-English Content: We prefer to receive a "textless" video file without burnt-in/imbedded subtitles and then the subtitle files separately (see "Closed Captions and Subtitles" section below). However, we can accept files with burnt-in/imbedded subtitles.
- Bars/Tones/Slate/Header: Please send video files without bars/tones/slate or other types of headers. Video files should start at first frame.
- We will provide SFTP credentials for you to upload the video files.
- Filename Convention: TITLE_FORMAT_RESOLUTION_LANGUAGE.
- Please do not zip or compress video files.
2) Key Art/Stills Specifications
Key art and/or still photos are very important to successful performance on Kanopy.
- Please deliver key art in Poster (vertical) and Landscape (horizontal) format.
- Poster (vertical) art should be 2160 x 3240 pixels and 300 dpi.
- Landscape (horizontal) art must be 1920 x 1080 pixels and 72 dpi.
- Preferred image formats: .jpg, .png, and/or .psd
- If key art is unavailable, please supply 3 still photos in horizontal format, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 72 dpi.
- We will provide you SFTP credentials to upload art files.
- Filename Convention: TITLE_TYPE_RESOLUTION.
Complete and comprehensive metadata is crucial. Please fill out the metadata spreadsheet and submit to your publishing team contact: [Kanopy-metadata-template.xls]
- Please provide any and all keywords that describe the film(s) to assist with classification and discovery that do not already appear in the synopsis or title.
- Please limit the number of tags to 20 terms. You can provide these on the metadata sheet or via email.
- If your film(s) contains mature or potentially offensive content, please notify us in writing.
4) Closed Captions and Subtitles
Closed Captions for English programs (and for English sections of foreign language programs) are mandatory. For more information on why captions are important, click here.
English subtitles are required for non-English content. We prefer to receive English subtitles as separate files rather than burnt-in/imbedded into the video file. However, we do accept video files with burnt-in/imbedded subtitles.
If you do not have caption files, please contact us and we can have them created at the rate of $1 per minute of content and provide you with the files and transcript.
- We accept most text-based captions but prefer .srt, .scc, .dfxp, and .ttml formats.
- Please send files via email, as an attachment.
- Filename Convention: TITLE_TYPE
For more information on captions, please visit the Closed Captions/Subtitles Help Section.
5) Bonus videos/materials (optional)
Study/Activity Guides: We can host guides on the video page as downloadable .PDF links for our users. We do not charge institutions for access to these guides.
- We gladly host bonus videos/materials. These must be submitted with the original feature and with separate metadata. Please liaise with us before submitting video extras.
- Filename Convention: TITLE_EXTRANAME_ FORMAT_RESOLUTION_LANGUAGE